Considering a career as an actor?
An actor’s approach to getting started and surviving in the most exciting, most rewarding, most depressing business there is!
This full day intensive workshop is crammed with information, resources and practical tools that every new actor should have at their disposal.
Don’t know where to start? Thinking about giving it a go? Or just trying to get traction early in your career? Perhaps you just need to learn as much as possible about the business as quickly as you can.
We will walk you through my own personal experiences and provide you with 20+ years of condensed knowledge and tools you can go out and use right away, which I believe will dramatically improve your chances of success in this industry.
We’ll help you with everything from do’s and don’ts, to getting connected with the right people who will help you move forward.
The first half of the day is informative, answering all your questions below. The second half of the day is more specifically devoted to the marketing side of your business, with a guest contributor from our industry eg. director, agent, other established actors who are willing to share some of their own experiences. This is followed by a general question and answer session. This relaxed and informative session will give you a competitive edge and a head start in the industry!
What You’ll Learn
- How do you get one?
- Do you need a referral to get an agent or a manager?
- How do you get a referral?
- What are some good books and resources for finding an agent?
- Who are the best agents in town?
- What do casting directors do?
- Who are the big ones in town and what do they cast?
Casting Director Workshops
- What should you expect?
- Can you prepare?
- Are they really effective?
- Do you know of anyone who has actually gotten work from them?
- Which are the best ones to attend?
- How should you prepare for an audition?
- Should you memorize it?
- How do you dress the part?
- Where are most auditions held?
- What is the audition process like?
- What do you do when you walk in the room?
- What is a callback?
- What does it mean when I’m put on hold ?
- What is a producer/ Director session like?
EQUITY and ACTRA
- What’s the difference?
- How do you get my ACTRA card?
- How do you get my Equity card?
- How to find the right classes for where you are in your career
- When/Where/How much
- Where to join/follow/audition for/like
- Do you need a head shot before seeking representation
- Finding the right photographer for you
- Which are the best demo reel companies?
- What’s the best place in Toronto for acting books, monologues, and scenes?
- Is it really possible to “make it” in Canada without any industry connections?
- Is networking really that important?
- What’s the best way to network?
Your Day Job
- Which day jobs should you seek out or better yet..avoid?
Fitness…Mind and Body!
- How much can you expect to earn?
- When will you receive my script?
- How much time will you have to prepare?
- What’s the rehearsal process like?
- How quickly do things move?
- What is a typical day on set? (TV shows, movies, and commercials)
- Should you do student films and nonunion work?
And why it can be the most rewarding job in the world
Details and Registration
Presented by: Mark Whelan and guest presenters
When: The event will be scheduled when 10 or more attendees are registered — join the waiting list by emailing [email protected].
Location: Ryerson College, London Room
International Living Learning Centre
240 Jarvis Street
Toronto, Ontario M5B 2L1
Time: 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. with a lunch break
$175 $125 + HST for a limited time only. (cheque or cash). Tax deductible receipt provided.
To register or if you have any questions, please email [email protected]